If an Indian tribe, worked through all the bureaucratic process while using Bureau of Indian Affairs and could build an online casino in downtown Enid, will you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos round the state, you almost certainly run into people you know from Enid, partaking in the recreation provided by the casinos. These are the same somebody that has left our town and therefore are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping in the stores, eating on the restaurants, and staying with the hotels inside area.
A brief history:
The power to run bingo games was among the numerous concessions created to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person designed a bingo game that seemed like a slot machine game. We have all seen small digital bingo card with the top corner in the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos begun to spring up everywhere. After all, you are still playing bingo, just inside a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact relating to the tribes and the State of Oklahoma allowed the application of Vegas style slots, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino can only be built within historic tribal boundaries and then placed in a trust while using U.S. government. Since Enid does not have any casino, is that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it had been found, that ahead of the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part with the Cherokee Outlet, occupied by the Cherokee people following a Treaty of New Echota and also the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the region was a hunting ground in the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive facets of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are taken up operate tribal governments and programs for the citizens. In addition, a portion in the revenue is split while using State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related tourist attractions are built.
4. Jobs are made.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons discovered that over 80 percent from the visitors to casinos were thinking about also doing something apart from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions including family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian people.
10. Casinos give you a magnet for outside money that failed to previously exist.
11. Local resident who accustomed to travel outside in the area now stays within the spot.
12. More construction jobs are manufactured building casinos.
13. Gambling is surely an accepted method for governments to boost funds. It is seen as a source of money that is certainly easier to obtain which is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities these businesses showed an boost in profits, attendance, and customers after an internet casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative facets of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes an addiction.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time used on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed check here their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour millions of dollars into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes can also be influencing gambling as well as other policies affecting Native Americans by handing quite a bit to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is definitely an increase inside following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is known as an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more often, it brings about tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so it takes more gambling and better stakes, to find the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine gambling fires up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an internet casino were to petition to make downtown Enid, an amount be your opinion? Do you think it will enhance our community or bring social problems we might not want to handle?